Skip to main content

The Day I Ran a Metaphor

Instagram @slwindisch | Photo by Anna Hixson

 Yesterday, I ran up a mountain.


Like most of America, I've had a hell of a week. I'm exhausted. My soul aches. I've endured a professional drubbing from doing two Veterans Day programs on the same day and not being able to eat lunch and no one really understanding what all that entails, because, "that's your job" and "now you might know what [standardized testing] is like" and "that must have taken weeks - thank you." (See, not everyone is awful and inconsiderate.)

I never try to get out of the weekly runs I take with my People. I love to run in the rain and the mud. I love the snow up to my butt and mornings that freeze my nose hair. But this week? I didn't want to go. I tried to get out of it. I wasn't in any place mentally to run, especially to bag a peak with my girls and a guest, but they talked me into it, promising me unlimited swears and no judgement, (Hah, girls, that's every week.) plus some sort of fancy-pants coffee.

I decided at the bottom I was going to run the whole thing. All 5 miles up. No walking. No breaks. Partially because I'm incredibly stubborn and a bit of a masochist. Partially because I had plenty of stuff to deal with and running is how I do that. Mostly because I knew it was in me.

The first time the two in front stopped and I ran past them, it was no big deal, but it kept happening again and again, and they started noticing. Then the one behind me walked beside me for awhile (because that part was steep and I never said I was going to run fast). She said, "You're not stopping, are you?"

I shook my head.

"Get it." she replied. "I'll see you at the top."

I didn't talk to my companions. I ran. There were times that I didn't know what was sweat, what was tears, and what was rain. I ran. The people I was with stopped. They rested. They complained (mostly good-naturedly) about the mountain. They walked. They shouted encouragements at me. I just kept going. Because I told myself at the bottom I would.

We took the obligatory picture at the top. We ran down, a 10-mile round trip. We ate doughnuts in the car. They told me I was a beast, a total badass. I guess that felt good, but I stared off into space a lot, still not collected and at peace, yet knowing I'd left something behind atop Mica Peak and glad of it.

It was a real mountain, not just a good metaphor. I could belabor the point here and talk about how making and keeping a commitment at the bottom shows me even more that I'll fight against hate when others give lip service.  How I can put my mind to something and know it will get done. Mental fortitude. Inspiration. Blah, blah, blah.

I could say that we are at the bottom of a mountain as a nation right now, and we have a long way to the top, and that it's going to be hard. I could tell you about embracing the suck. About can't stop-won't stop-pick a sports cliché.

I could tell you that today, my body hurts as much as my spirit does, and I'm so, so grateful for that pain.

Draw your own conclusions. Take what you need from this story.

Yesterday, I ran up a mountain because I said I would.

And if I say I will, I will.

Note: Pushing myself mentally, physically, intellectually - living on the very edge of what I can do and having to improve to complete something while I'm doing it? That's what I need to survive. I know a 10-mile mountain summit on a Saturday morning seems crazy-intense, and I guess it probably is...but my "light 'em on fire and watch 'em burn" mentality isn't just for my students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t