Skip to main content

Driveway Moment: The Post

I'm a committed NPR listener.

There's been, well, a lot of news lately,  and many things that I've been trying to reconcile in my head. I always feel like I can turn to the radio to help me understand and make sense of the world around me.

This morning on my drive to work, there was an interview regarding the Las Vegas shooting and gun control. It was with a conservative talk show personality out of Phoenix, Chris Buskirk, and the meat of his interview with host Rachel Martin was that conservatives and liberals are not even having the same conversation on this topic.

That stopped me cold. How true.

I live in one of the most conservative states in America, and I have friends and family who are as Republican as you can get. (Of course, I have friends and family who share my liberal views and others who have very nuanced opinions. There are Libertarians and Anarchists and folks of all stripes in my circles - forgive the digression, but I just have to put out there that there are all sorts of folks in Idaho, not just conservative potato farmers.) ANYWAY, that's the absolute truth. It's not just that we're not on the same page regarding firearms - we're not even in the same book.

I feel that if it was as difficult - nationally - to get a gun as it was to get an abortion, we'd be in a much better situation. Imagine that: A 3 day waiting period to make sure that you really wanted to purchase a gun. Submitting to a psychiatric evaluation to make sure you were fit. Having to travel far from your home to find a provider. People outside the gun shop waving giant placards with photos of people who were killed by gun violence. Clearly, if the nation feels it can legislate my body, it can legislate the purchase and sale of guns.

Others, however, don't see it as an access problem, it's an issue of people being evil, and say there's no way for the government to make people less evil. Now, wait. I know, you might be thinking, "Well, yeah, but if it was harder to get a gun, evil people wouldn't have them." Yes. I agree with you, but this is not about that.

We need to do something about guns in our country, but if we're not talking about the same thing, not able to understand each other, there will never be actual actionable change. I was struck this morning by the complete opposition I felt to what Mr. Buskirk was saying, but how I felt that listening to him was revelatory. I had no idea that the other side felt that it was a people problem, not an object problem, I'd just always figured it was, "You can pry these guns out of my cold dead hands." (Don't blame me, blame the bumper stickers my state-mates are fond of.)

It's also striking too, that I haven't had this type of conversation or breakthrough with someone close to me. I guess that's because there's actual history with my friends and family. We've talked before and just come out diametrically opposed, rather than understanding each other's positions. We assume that we know what the other will say before we even start talking, and therefore plan for an exchange that we might not even have.

Perhaps we all need to listen harder. Maybe if we can have a conversation where both sides are speaking the same language about the same topic, we'll actually get somewhere.

And get there together.

Want to listen to the interview? I'd love to know what it brought to your mind.

_____

Note: I want gun control and I want action now. This CANNOT become normalized in America. If you feel the same way, please consider buying a t-shirt from my campaign below. All proceeds will go to Everytown , a group committed to common sense things like background checks and mandatory education. (If you'd rather just give money or time to Everytown, please do. But it's time for us to do something.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d