Skip to main content

< rant >

You know what quote I hate most of all?
If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
The most trouble I've ever been in with my principal got me told this long story about how these children in Africa found some fruit and they could either all go together to the fruit or one could go alone...
...or something because honestly I stopped listening since I had no clue what it had to do with me saying that I couldn't rearrange my schedule to fit in that one class since Monday was a holiday and a teacher missed prep time.

Anyway.

The moral of the story (I guess?) was essentially that phrase, and you know, I just don't see the world that way at all.

What's wrong with me going to scout out that fruit on my own and bringing some back? I can tell you where it is, if there was a lot of it, what dangers you find on the way. The quote naturally assumes the worst about people - that I'm going to hoard all the fruit (or whatever I find by going fast and alone).

False. I've gone fast and alone on things all my life and what makes me a great teacher is that I bring whatever I find back to the group to help take everyone farther. It's not mutually exclusive. Some people cannot go with the group, and let's be honest - without scouts to go fast and far alone, would humanity have survived this long? No.

And let's talk about me as a runner for a moment. I. Am. SLOW. Okay, maybe not compared to you, but when I run with my girls, up a hill, I am the weakest link. Could they run faster without me? Yep. Could I run farther without them? Absolutely. I'm stoked to run an ultramarathon for my 40th birthday. They're like, "We could maybe cheer?"

I guess this is just another piece of my recent wrath about teacher shaming by other teachers. I have a million drafts of me ranting and raving about how we are never going to be better or more respected if we don't stop making pretty picture quotes of garbage like that and "whoever's doing the talking's doing the learning," and whatever else and calling them motivational.

They're not.

Teaching is too hard and too complex to be made into a graphic. It can't be summarized in a trite little quote. Your trite quote isn't my trite quote anyway. And that's fine. We. Are. Different. People. That's what makes education today so strong: all the different ideas and techniques and backgrounds that we have. There's not one way to do it right, just like there's not one type of student in our classes or one type of class that we have. We are professionals and as such, we need to continue to educate ourselves in what's going on - not because it's a magic cure for our classroom woes, but because we can keep adding to the richness of our own right way.

And who do we learn it from? The scouts. The people who write the books and present at the conferences and tweet the tweets are the ones who go fast and alone and bring it back to share with the group.

So we CAN go further.

Together.

< /rant >

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d