Skip to main content

(Insert logo here)

I'm an Idaho-sized Edulebrity, and I think I'm uncomfortable with it.

This week, I'm presenting at and attending a large conference. People are recognizing me from other state or regional conferences I've presented at. I've reached a thousand followers on Twitter. (which feels like an insane amount) This tweet happened:
I'm completely flummoxed. Not because I don't think I have great things to say - I mean, let's be honest, I'd totally follow me - but because I'm not *doing* anything to get noticed. Yes. I'm active on Twitter. Yes. I blog pretty consistently about things happening both in my classroom and my real, human life. Yes. I present at conferences in memorable ways with useful content.

But I'm not doing that because I want to get picked up by a publisher or (sweet Cheez-its, no) be considered a "Thought Leader." I'm not out hustling and promoting my brand.

Enter this morning's keynote. The author of BrandED, Eric Sheninger, spoke about branding. What is your school's brand? How do you want your school to be viewed? What is the story you're telling? How do you tell your school's story on social media?

None of those sound like bad things, right? In fact, most teachers I know share about the awesome things they're doing in their classrooms already. They may not have a huge reach, but they're telling the story of their classroom and school. I'm not convinced they need to think about how they project themselves to the world.

"But Sarah, " you say, "that's very naive. If you don't control what others see, others will decide how you're seen."

To that, I say branding - a carefully curated narrative of what you present to people - doesn't promote honest conversations. If someone is seeing you incorrectly, wouldn't it be more powerful and beneficial to have a conversation with that person? To learn about why they view you the way they do? And then maybe to help them see what you really meant?

We can't deny that branding is powerful. We look at logos and immediately know what product they represent, and what thoughts we have about what they're selling. We look at particular hashtags or people on EduTwitter, and we "know who they are." But do we? Have we asked them? Have we made a decision on our own, or are we buying what they've planned to sell us?

We're not "selling" anything. I know, I know, we sell knowledge. We sell empowerment through educational opportunities. No. We don't. Our students and communities are not consumers, and we do not need to treat them as such. Education isn't a business and though I understand people's need to look at something they don't understand through the lens of what they do, I cannot accept that what is "good business" transfers to good education.

Personally, I'm going to continue tweeting and blogging in the same way, because I'm convinced if you asked colleagues or students, they'd probably be able to identify a "Mrs. Windisch" brand. I guess I already have one, but you're not seeing a curated me.

And it seems I can be a (small time) Edulebrity just the same.



Want to listen to my thoughts that inspired this post?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d