Skip to main content

THAT kid

My kid just spent the day in in-school suspension.

I mean, I guess it's called "the quiet room" but let's call that spade a spade, shall we? And while we're calling things as they are, my son is a bully. He's the mean kid. He's hurting others physically and with words. And I'm not whether he knows how what he's doing is wrong or whether he just doesn't care.

Either way.

I could make a list of things that could be reasons excuses: he's young for his class but huge for his age. He's a super silly kid who is also very imaginative. He's gifted. He's got terrible impulse control. He's an only child. He's bright enough to be experimenting with sarcasm. Maybe he's a bit of a misanthrope like his mother. In any case, he's apparently gone from "big clumsy puppy" to "bad, bad dog" rather quickly.

(source)


I have no idea how to handle this.

Mom-Sarah: Dude. you're in so much trouble. You're grounded for the rest of eternity, young man.

Mommy-Sarah: We need to help you learn how to control yourself, sweetie.

Sarah-Who-Can't-Adult: OhnowhatdoIdowhatdoIdowhathaveIdoneohno...

Teacher-Sarah: If you're having trouble, don't play with those kids on the playground.

Other Teacher-Sarah: (rolls eyes) Oh, jeeze. THAT kid.

My kid is THAT kid? What the hell, man? How'd we get to here? We teach to behavior and desired outcome all the time. Manners matter to us. We're still normal parents and fail at follow-through sometimes and other times have to resort to bribery, (We're human and so are you. Stop judging.) but I feel like we've done a good job of raising a kid who's becoming a good human.

I'm not ashamed of my kid, and I don't think he's a puzzle that needs to be "solved," but now I'm terrified that he's going to have a... reputation (?) that keeps his teachers and peers from getting to know what an awesome person he is. I keep thinking about the "THAT kid"s that I work with every day. I usually don't have the same issues with them their classroom teachers do, so I get to see some of their greatest traits. I like to give THAT kid a chance to show off how awesome they are in ways their teachers might not see - to shock their teachers a bit and remind them that these kids aren't diagnoses or behaviors but real people.

Which brings me to one last point. THAT kid is always someone's KID. We need to pay more than lip service to the idea of parent-teacher partnerships to help these children succeed. I'm scared to meet with my son's teacher and principal. I don't want to hear bad things about my baby. I can only imagine what it's like to come into a situation like this without a background in education - no wonder sometimes parents are so defensive. But parents see things that we as teachers don't. They have insights into what makes a child wonderful as well as experience with the exact same frustrations we're having in the classroom. When we can work together, really together, in the best interest of a student, everyone is going to win.

Especially THAT KID.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d