Skip to main content

A Study in The Adventures of the Dissatisfied Consulting Music Specialist of the Baskervilles (or something like that...)

Here's a big shocker: I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan.


I mean the A.C. Doyle stories. Robert Downey Jr. and The Great Mouse Detective. Guys, there's even a Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode that's Sherlock themed, and it's great. 

And then there's Sherlock.

BBC Sherlock.

Naturally, since series 4 just started, I've been thinking about it more than usual and I came to a realization. I'm Sherlock-shooting-the-wall-bored with what I'm doing. Originally, I was just dissatisfied with the lack of respect I was feeling. I wanted to pack up my toys and take them to play with someone who would appreciate how awesome they were. But what I'm doing now is too small for me. I've become complacent. I need to find a new challenge because I've done all I can here.



In that particular scene (The Great Game, S1, E3), Sherlock is disappointed with the criminal class - they're so mundane. He needs a challenge, a criminal mastermind to equal his brilliance. A puzzle to solve. A knot to untangle. This is the episode where we meet Jim Moriarty. (Hiiiii.) 

My current job is full of Watsons. I need an educational Moriarty. 

The Watsons let me shine. Maybe they used to empower me. Fill in the gaps that my arrogance leaves. Give me some free reign, but explain when something might be...questionable. Pick up after me when I do it anyway. I'm a Sherlock. I'd be lost without Watsons and they me - nothing works without the two of them together. But nothing works for Sherlock unless he has a good foil.

[source]
The students and curriculum aren't my foil. In this analogy, they must be the cases that come to me. And obviously I'm not the antithesis of education (Notice how I don't say anything about specific Cabinet picks out loud?), so it's not that. It's this: "every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain."

Is the villainy the lack of time I have with kids? The people who don't think I'm more than a Very Fancy Babysitter? I don't think so. It's not advocacy I need. I need to be working with students in whatever capacity I'm given. Sherlock is at his best when his ingenuity is put to the test, and when the problem is clever.

Teaching is a dazzling puzzle everyday. There's not a lack of enjoyable trickiness in what I love to do. I think it's just that, like Sherlock, I get a little unhinged when things are too similar. I think I've solved all the cases here. It's time for a new set of puzzles.

I need something...sooo changeable.

Something ready to burn the heart out of me.



I'm not ready to start keeping bees yet.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc...

A Special Report on Specialists

Opinions wanted. What does everyone think the purpose is of specialists? Are specialist classes for exposure, deep level learning?+ — Kory Graham (@korytellers) March 17, 2017 I told Kory that my response would need to be typed, double-spaced 12-point Times, but this will do too. What's the purpose of specialists? This: It's the truth and the truth hurts so, so much. https://t.co/l5ZI7cwDhm — Sarah Windisch (@slwindisch) March 17, 2017 It's true. That's what created my job, and it's not me being jaded or burnt-out, it's me accepting reality. When being a specialist is awful, it's because you're treated like you're no more than a person who takes the class so you can make copies or pee or just have a moment because OMG they're so loud and inside recess and I just can't anymore... I get it. Most specialists get it. It's fine. It's job security. But the great part of being a specialist? Teaching something you're pass...

Fuhgeddaboudit

I tweeted earlier "I think my biggest fear is amnesia." All joking aside (and obviously, all the replies were  jokes) - forgetting is terrifying to me. I'm reading What Alice Forgot  by Liane Moriarty, about a woman who wakes up from a fall and can't remember the last decade of her life. When she wakes, she feels like herself from 10 years ago, but around her, everything has changed. I've spent the first quarter of the book in fairly frantic tears, my chest tight. I don't want to forget. I NEVER want to forget what has happened to me - none of it. Good or bad. I can't imagine what it would be like to see a dear friend and not know them. To not be able to share a joke or a knowing look. In the story, the main character even forgets her children . She wakes up and is a stranger in her own life. I feel like it hits close to home, not just because I am a visceral reader, (I have some of the worst book hangovers you can imagine.) but because someone near ...