Skip to main content

Educational Arson

Note: I'm really struggling lately with how I fit into my current position, so I'm visiting and revisiting my core beliefs in preparation for what I think will be a Transition-with-a-capital-T. So many of these pieces have been sitting as drafts in Blogger or on legal pads, but I need them out of my head and into the world where I can think about them...more out loud, maybe? This though, this I need you to know about me. This is the basis. This will explain it all:

This is my philosophy of education.

My job as a teacher is to light you on fire. To excite you. To let some ember of what I've mentioned, even in passing, catch hold and grow into a wild, all-consuming conflagration. I deal in passion.

And I want to watch you burn. I want to see what you'll do with that spark. Don't let me tell you what to do with it - that's up to you. Let it smolder. Let the wind from somewhere else whip it up. You're the kindling.

Don't you dare try to control it. Stoke the flames. Let them burn you down; use you up. Ignite others on the way. Warm others with your heat. Provide light in the darkness. Suck all the oxygen out of a room when you enter and make others tremble in delight, in fear, in absolute awe.

Fire ravages. Whatever is in its path becomes a part of it. Once I've set you ablaze, take what's around you. Make it part of you. Use it. Create with it. If it doesn't fit, tear it down. Fire can't exist on its own. Keep feeding it. Tend it. It can be a small glow, a wisp of smoke - just please, please don't let it go out. Add some fuel. Keep it burning.

This isn't "filling of a bucket vs. lighting of a fire." This is Bukowski - "find what you love and let it kill you." I have to teach. I have to share. That is what devours me. I can't hold it back and would never want to try.

Worn on my arm for all to see and to remind me when I forget...



I need to light you on fire.

And watch you burn.

Burn.


Burn.

This is my philosophy of education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc...

A Special Report on Specialists

Opinions wanted. What does everyone think the purpose is of specialists? Are specialist classes for exposure, deep level learning?+ — Kory Graham (@korytellers) March 17, 2017 I told Kory that my response would need to be typed, double-spaced 12-point Times, but this will do too. What's the purpose of specialists? This: It's the truth and the truth hurts so, so much. https://t.co/l5ZI7cwDhm — Sarah Windisch (@slwindisch) March 17, 2017 It's true. That's what created my job, and it's not me being jaded or burnt-out, it's me accepting reality. When being a specialist is awful, it's because you're treated like you're no more than a person who takes the class so you can make copies or pee or just have a moment because OMG they're so loud and inside recess and I just can't anymore... I get it. Most specialists get it. It's fine. It's job security. But the great part of being a specialist? Teaching something you're pass...

Fuhgeddaboudit

I tweeted earlier "I think my biggest fear is amnesia." All joking aside (and obviously, all the replies were  jokes) - forgetting is terrifying to me. I'm reading What Alice Forgot  by Liane Moriarty, about a woman who wakes up from a fall and can't remember the last decade of her life. When she wakes, she feels like herself from 10 years ago, but around her, everything has changed. I've spent the first quarter of the book in fairly frantic tears, my chest tight. I don't want to forget. I NEVER want to forget what has happened to me - none of it. Good or bad. I can't imagine what it would be like to see a dear friend and not know them. To not be able to share a joke or a knowing look. In the story, the main character even forgets her children . She wakes up and is a stranger in her own life. I feel like it hits close to home, not just because I am a visceral reader, (I have some of the worst book hangovers you can imagine.) but because someone near ...