Skip to main content

An Open Letter to Mark Barnes



Dear Mr. Barnes,


You are a bully. I know that in your recent blog post, you equated Doug Robertson to “the popular student” who gets others to yell without thinking about intent, but sir, that’s you. You have nearly 10 times the followers as Doug, and yet you continue to insist that you, head of a publishing company and former administrator, and Danny Steele, a principal, again with twice as many followers as Doug, are the outsiders in this situation. That you two are personally being attacked by a “poisonous” leader of a “mob” of thoughtless lemmings.




I take exception to this in many ways, but first, let’s explore why I italicized followers. Because, Mark, that’s what you see people as. You look at this number on social media and see yourself as a leader and all of us as followers. I don’t follow Doug Robertson, I am his friend. I’m lucky enough to know him and his family in real life: we’ve eaten meals together, I’ve played with his kids, and stayed in his spare room. He’s a generous person who just happens to be exhausted by people who don’t think about the impact of their words.

And yet, when we tried to explain to you that people can read things differently - the basis for this entire hoo-hah - you very literally called him a dog:



That’s a pretty personal attack, don’t you think? And yet, you publish a piece about teacher bashing and neglect to mention that, in this case, you are the one with personally critical comments.

You’re also a misogynist. Anne Delgado called attention to the fact that in addition to the original post creating a dichotomy between “good” and “bad” teachers, it was also gender biased because the makeup of the teaching profession is undeniable majority female. Like many men of a certain age you don’t even realize that you’re sexist, but comments like this are remarkably telling:



In your mind, you’re being a good ally, but the problem is - in ALL of these situations - that you have placed yourself at the center. The original tweet wasn’t about you, but you jumped in to defend Danny Steele. As dialogue about having deep discussions on Twitter continues, you centralize yourself in the narrative time and time again. I know that we’re all the main character in our stories, but Mark, this is not your story. To many of us, it looks like you are invested in a power structure that deserves questioning and you simply can’t abide that.

So you bully. You dismiss women, call people names, and set up metaphorical classroom scenarios that again, are so open to interpretations that you didn’t expect that you are “attacked” again. With all of your followers, not to mention that you’re an Old White Dude™, you have so much power, and not only do you want people to know it, you try to use it to intimidate those you don’t agree with. You're the very definition of a bully:

You say in this tweet that the reaction caused by the original post that perhaps the people who take issue with word choice need to look hard at their practice:


I hope that your personal vendetta towards Doug (because this isn’t the first time you’ve patronizingly wagged your finger in his face like, well, like he’s a Bad Dog), and the responses towards it - from people with so many different types of umbrage toward Mr. Steele’s original tweet and its word choice - coupled with this open letter, in which I hope I was clear enough about what this pushback is really about, help you take a look at your comments with the eyes of those you consider followers.



Good luck,




Sarah Windisch





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wishing for Trouble

 I didn't get in trouble today, and that's a problem. The day is young. There's still time. And I'm sure that my parent letter tomorrow will be met with resistance from several readers. But I should have gotten in trouble today. I was already worried yesterday about how to approach yesterday's treasonous insurrection with my students. Like you may know, though I'm in the middle of my career, this is the first time I've been a grade-level teacher with a classroom of students of my own. You also may know that I'm in a very conservative part of a very conservative state - my neighbor, a Guatemalan immigrant, still has his Idahoans for Trump flag flying proudly because he's white. My other neighbor, who is a Vietnamese immigrant also complains about the "immigrants who are stealing our jobs" when I see her at the mailbox. That's where I'm from. There's the context about what America looks like for some of you who might not see how d

A List That Actually Matters

I sort of wanted to give this post a cutesy title, like "My Edu-Valentines," but I'm incredibly serious about this. Yesterday, two of my favorite people on the planet, people I like and admire, were included in an exceedingly disappointing list of inspirational educators . (excuse me, "educationists.") They were both livid. As they should have been. The list was lily white and lacking women. Most of the people were not actually  teachers - which you know, makes them a lot less inspirational to those of us who spend our days surrounded with the bright future of the world. AND THEN, after being called out for the poor quality of the list, the author - who is not a teacher, but a "blogger and digital marketing biz" person and moderator of #GuruChats - about branding (of which I have  many thoughts ) - asked for suggestions to improve it. Okay, the first one is do your homework, don't run an algorithm. But then I took a couple of moments to sc

Hands on top...*

This whole post might be off, but I don't think so. | Source  Everyone has a Thing in education they just can't abide. I've worked with teachers who disagree with numbering students or allowing bathroom breaks outside of lunch and recess. There's the much maligned clip chart. I personally lose my stuffing when teachers keep students out of Music because they're missing work in class. But there's something else that's creeping up right behind that as my number one classroom no-no. Attention Getters. You know, the Power Teaching "Class" - "Yes" or the sing-songy call and response, "One, two, three. Eyes on me!" - "One, two, eyes on you!" There's a million of them, as many as there are really great teachers who use them. I certainly don't want to disparage the teachers who rely on them. Teachers use what works for them, and we're all individuals, right? Well, yes. Of course. But my problem is t